Nikki Bush in conversation with Robyn Wienand. 30 000 ECD centres are still closed and, according to a report from the Nelson Mandela Foundation, may be unlikely to reopen with enormous ramifications. Robyn is the founder of the Play with a Purpose educational programme and CEO of Preschools 4 Africa. She has worked in the NGO space for over 30 years mentoring and assisting over 200 ECD sites through a social franchise system and another 3 000 through their network. She advocates for ECD at local and national government level and has published research on early education. For more information visit www.preschools4africa.com or www.nikkibush.com
The conversation covers:
- The closure of 30 000 ECD centres and the impact of this on our society
- 175 000 employees have no income
- What happens to 1.5-million children with no stimulation?
- What is happening on the ground
- This is not just a COVID-19 issue it has the potential to impact an entire generation
- Will these centres re-open?
- How misunderstood early childhood education is
- The connection between learning and play
For further reading