Removing all stress from work and life in future is not the answer.
Understanding what stresses you and how you, specifically, can manage it better, is a more effective antidote to burnout. Self-leadership and self-awareness are key.
Deeper reasons why people are burning out:
- Not taking the time to deal with the trauma, loss and grief they have suffered, or continued stress they have endured, during the past two and a half years.
- Can’t take the time to do the above, like teachers and healthcare workers who have never had a break due to the nature of their jobs.
- Won’t take the time to confront and unpack the emotional baggage they are carrying from their past, connecting the dots to their present.
All of the above reasons eventually result in the same thing: unresolved emotional baggage festering, making life more and more difficult, and can even eventually become unbearable. It also manifests in more destructive behaviour towards self and others over time, impacting on relationships and performance at home and work.
Does any of the above apply to you?
The likely answer for many will be a big yes (if you are honest and not in denial).
If you want to thrive and flourish, you need to be curious rather than fearful about the journey you have walked to get here
It was Socrates who said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” One of the meanings behind this statement is that the understanding of the experiences gained in life at any particular time, enriches your engagement with yourself and the universe.
So,whatever hand life has dealt you, please take some time to reflect and introspect to find meaning in your experiences. One of the quickest ways to do this is to ask yourself two very simple questions about any experience:
- What can/did I learn from this?
- How can/did I grow from this?
If you are battling to do this yourself, get help. There are so many different kinds of therapy, from mainstream to alternative today. Support yourself on your journey of personal enquiry and self-leadership. I have and I continue to do so.
This applies to any kind of emotional pain. Your burden can become your biggest blessing depending on how you look at it (or whether you look at it at all).
If you don’t clear out layers of hurt, suffering, trauma, anger, depression, etc, and you keep adding more, it’s understandable that:
- You will become bogged down or perhaps feel increasingly stressed and out-of- control.
- Whatever is stressing you today will be blamed as the culprit, when it may just be the last straw that breaks the camel’s back. Digging deeper is the key.
May your curiosity be stronger than your fear.
Human Potential and Parenting Expert helping you to win at work and life
Watch this short excerpt from my High Noon Live show last week which contains some tools to keep perspective, and a powerful clip from Adrian Gore, CEO of Discovery talking about these turbulent times.
Be bold and courageous. Read Future-proof Yourself for more insights on how you can dance with disruption to win at both work and life.
Leave A Comment