Fun Science Experiments: How to grow crystals.
Children love to experiment and explore their world. Growing crystals is an easy and fun experiment to do at home with your children. Watch your children’s wonder and suprise as their crystals grow. Great for teaching older children about saturated and unsaturated solutions.
You will need:
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Two glasses or glass jars
- Boiled water
- Side plate
What to do:
- Make a solution of bicarb and boiled water (7tsp per 250ml of water). Add one teaspoon at a time, stirring to dissolve
- Drape a piece of wool between the glasses, making sure the tail in each glass touches the bottom of the glass
- Place a side plate beneath the lowest point of the wool to catch drips
- Watch crystals grow along the wool