How Do You Make Bouncy Eggs?
This kitchen science experiment will change a frail egg into a durable fun toy.
You will need:
- An egg
- A glass
- A small torch (You can use a cellphone torch)
What to do:
- Fill the glass with vinegar and place the egg in the glass
- Watch the bubbles that form on the side of the egg and rise to the surface
- You can gently stir every few hours to remove these bubbles
- After 24 hours remove the egg from the vinegar with a spoon to see if the shell has dissolved
- If not, return the egg to the glass of vinegar and for another few hours
- Remove the egg from the glass and rinse gently with water
Congratulations! You now have a rubbery, transparent egg. This is also commonly known as the naked egg! The shell has disappeared. It has been corroded by the acid in the vinegar. Our teeth are made of a similar substance to egg shells and to stop acid build-up from eating our teeth, we need to brush our teeeth regularly.
If you put your naked egg on the torch, you will see a cool glowing egg!
Now let’s see if it can bounce? Start with small bounces! Experiment with it! How high can it bounce? Can it survive 1m fall? It is best to do your experiments outside!